Bedroom Makeover- Phase 1

I love design and decorating. I love finding inspiration. However, I find it next to impossible to actually make design decisions for myself. I'm not kidding when I said it took me three years to buy a kitchen table. This is why I get so excited over small decorating triumphs. A few months ago I decided that I needed to actually decorate our bedroom. Please tell me that I am not alone in leaving the bedroom sadly undecorated while concentrating on the rest of the house? Since it takes me so long to make design decisions, I sought professional help from Layla. She provided me with a wonderful inspiration room and was really helpful in suggesting several pieces. (Those curtains were the first set from Anthropologie I feel in love with but didn't buy, darn it.)
One suggestion I really liked was the idea of a metallic sunburst mirror of some type for the wall above the bed. I tried about 4 different sunburst mirrors and didn't like any of them-size was wrong, coloring was weird, style, etc. I really liked this mirror, but I am cheap-I mean frugal-I mean crafty. So, I decided to improvise. I found an interesting mirror at CostPlus-the rope wooden inset mirrors (ha ha he he) a design element in our bed.
*Please excuse, these are all iphone photos
The mirror was a steal $60 and just needed a little work.
I wanted a mottled look that blended both silver and gold. A couple cans of spray paint, about an hour later, and I had a different mirror. It turned out a bit more gold than I wanted. So, I attempted to bronze it a bit---you don't want to see what happened there. Let's just say that the mirror got another couple of coats of paint and I decided gold with a touch of silver was just fine
Here's a close-up of the finished product.






Project 1 done- only about 6 more to go! *I'm linking to Kimba's DIY Day even though this was the easiest DIY ever because I love her DIY days and always get so many great ideas.

3 comments:

  1. OOh I love it Elz! The color turned out great and Layla's inspiration room is fabulous! Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful mirror makeover...luv the color of your walls...I have it in my kitchen. Hope you have a FUN week:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mirror turned out super cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you think.