The Best Thanksgiving Recipe- Tamale Stuffing

First, do not be dissuaded by the pictures, this stuffing turns out beautiful. Wonderful. Crowd pleasing. Delicious. I originally got the recipe from the San Antonio Express many years ago; I believe it comes from Central Market.
Tamale Stuffing
24 cooked tamales (husks removed)- I've used every kind of tamale and it all tastes super yummy. My favorite is venison tamales.
4 cups shredded cheese (I use the Mexican blend)
28 oz tomatoes with diced green chiles
1/4- 1/2 cup chopped onion (I cut this way down from original 2 cups)
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dark chile powder
kosher salt to taste
Directions
Steam tamales. In a large bowl (not kidding-large), combine all ingredients. Use a slotted spoon or fork to crumble the tamales and really combine everything. Pour into a greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
I've been making this tamale "stuffing" for years at the holidays. It is really more of a tamale casserole stuffed with goodness. It spices up turkey quite nicely and gives your meal just a kick of spice, not too much, just right. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Good GRIEF!!! You just gave my brain an orgasm from the very THOUGHT of Tamale Stuffing!

    OK, I've calmed down. Understand that tamales, of any kind or description, are one of my favourite foods on the planet. Notice my location (France) which means they are unavailable to me unless I make them myself, which I try to do every Christmas, but usually fail since I can't just pop down to the Hypermarché and pick up a bag of Masa Harina, let alone buy them off a street corner like I could when living in Southern Califoria.

    Ro-Tel tomatoes with chiles? In my dreams.

    But the thought alone has made me giddy, so, thank you for that. I'll copy the recipe so that next time I can, I WILL make this.

    Joyeux le jour de l'Action de Grâces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear my darling one.
    YOu may have actually converted me into a stuffing/dressing lover.

    Tonguegasmic. This deserves an award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to bookmark that recipe - it looks amazing! I never would have imagines using tamales in stuffing... but the creation is genius! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fantastic idea! I must try this one and I'm not even going to wait until next Thansgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh WOW!! this looks sooo delicious!! my husband LOVES spicy food so this would be perfect for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...this was very good...made some for Christmas...making some now for the "Big Snow In"...I'm in Okie City...got 12" of snow here! No work all week! Everyone wants more Tamale Stuffing! Thank You for the recipe! Kenneth

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely on the menu for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been making this tamale "stuffing" for years at the holidays. It is really more of a tamale casserole stuffed with goodness. It spices up turkey quite nicely and gives your meal just a kick of spice, not too much, just right. Enjoy! 100 cotton percale sheets king , sateen sheet set ,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you think.