The Best Pumpkin Bread-Welcome Fall

This weekend I welcomed one of my favorite recipes back to our kitchen, Pumpkin Bread. I know some people don't like pumpkin bread (I don't know HOW that is possible). To those who say you don't like pumpkin bread, just try this one. It is so good. My girls clapped their hands when I was making this Sunday afternoon. The picture doesn't do it justice; blame it on the way too early dark and flash. In real life it is just oozy yummy brown and golden and smells like Fall.
Recipe is adapted from Rebecca Rather's "The Pastry Queen" (A great cookbook with Texas flair.) The recipe makes two loaves or 36 muffins
Eddie's Autumn Pumpkin Bread with Pecan Streusel Topping
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces (could also use chocolate chips)
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 (15oz) can pure pumpkin
1 cup water
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
*1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
*1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
*1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
*1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
* I use 5-6 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead
1/2 tsp salt
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pecan pieces

Coke and broccoli not part of the ingredient list!

Preheat oven to 350. Grease two loaf pans, or muffin tins. You can chop and toast the nuts if you like. I've found that it gives the bread extra flavor, but isn't necessary. I've also used walnuts in place of pecans and it tastes just fine. Whisk the oil and sugar together. Add the eggs, pumpkin, and water until combined. Stir in flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Divide the batter into the tins or loaf pans.

Make the topping: Melt butter, stir in sugar, cinnamon, and about a 1/2 cup of nuts. Sprinkle over the top of each loaf or muffin.

Bake loaves for one hour, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes clean. Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you think.